Poi Dessert Recipes
Looking for some delicious and unique dessert ideas? Well, you’re in for a treat! In this article, I’ll be sharing my favorite poi dessert recipes that are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. Poi, a traditional Hawaiian food made from taro root, may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of desserts, but trust me, it’s a game-changer.
If you’re tired of the same old desserts and want to explore new flavors, poi dessert recipes are a must-try. Poi adds a unique twist to traditional desserts, bringing an earthy and nutty flavor that complements a wide range of ingredients. From creamy puddings to decadent cakes, there’s a poi dessert for every occasion. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or simply treating yourself, these recipes will take your taste buds on a delightful journey.
Traditional Poi Dessert Recipes
When it comes to creating unique and delicious desserts, traditional Hawaiian poi is a versatile ingredient that can take your sweet treats to the next level. Poi, a smooth and creamy paste made from taro root, not only adds a delightful flavor but also brings a host of nutritional benefits to your desserts. In this section, I’ll share two mouthwatering poi dessert recipes that are sure to impress your taste buds.
Haupia Poi Pie Recipe
If you’re a fan of pies, then this Haupia Poi Pie recipe is a must-try. Haupia is a traditional coconut milk-based Hawaiian dessert, and when combined with poi, it creates a heavenly dessert that’s both creamy and satisfying. Here’s how you can make it:
- 1 cup poi
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 pre-baked pie crust
- Whipped cream (optional, for topping)
- In a saucepan, whisk together the poi, coconut milk, sugar, and cornstarch until well combined.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and continue whisking until the mixture thickens and comes to a gentle boil.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and pour the mixture into the pre-baked pie crust.
- Allow the pie to cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until set.
- Serve chilled, and if desired, top with whipped cream for an extra touch of indulgence.
Unique Poi Dessert Recipes
Poi Pancakes Recipe
One of my favorite ways to incorporate poi into a dessert is by making delicious Poi Pancakes. These pancakes have a unique, slightly tangy flavor that pairs perfectly with sweet toppings like maple syrup or fresh fruit. Here’s a simple recipe to try:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup poi
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the poi, milk, egg, and melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix, as this can result in tough pancakes.
- Heat a griddle or non-stick pan over medium heat and lightly grease with butter or cooking spray.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle for each pancake.
- Cook until bubbles form on the surface of the pancake, then flip and cook for another minute or until golden brown.
- Serve the Poi Pancakes warm with your favorite toppings.
Incorporating poi into dessert recipes offers a unique and delicious twist to traditional desserts while providing a range of nutritional benefits. Poi is not only packed with fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, but it also promotes digestive health by being easily digestible, containing probiotics, and being gentle on the stomach.
Bob Duncan is the lead writer and partner on ConversationsWithBianca.com. A passionate parent, he’s always excited to dive into the conversation about anything from parenting, food & drink, travel, to gifts & more!