Sourdough Discard Dessert Recipes
Looking to make the most of your sourdough discard? Look no further! I’ve got some incredible dessert recipes that will transform that excess discard into mouthwatering treats. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or just starting out, these recipes are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and impress your friends and family.
If you’ve been baking with sourdough for a while, you know that refreshing the starter can result in a substantial amount of discard. Instead of letting it go to waste, why not use it to create delectable desserts? From tangy sourdough chocolate cake to fluffy sourdough pancakes, there’s no limit to the indulgent creations you can whip up using that leftover discard.
But why include sourdough discard in desserts, you might ask? Well, besides adding depth of flavor and a slight tanginess, incorporating sourdough discard into your desserts also helps reduce food waste. It’s an ingenious way to make use of every part of your starter and create something truly delicious at the same time.
So don’t let that precious sourdough discard go unused any longer. Let me share with you some amazing recipes that will elevate your baking game and leave everyone craving for more. Get ready for a delightful journey into the world of sourdough discard desserts!
Decadent Chocolate Chip Sourdough Discard Cookies
Who knew that tangy, bubbly sourdough discard could turn into a mouthwatering treat like chocolate chip cookies? It’s the perfect solution for those times when you have extra starter that needs to be used up. These decadent cookies are a delightful way to repurpose your sourdough discard and satisfy your sweet tooth at the same time.
The addition of sourdough discard adds a unique depth of flavor to these cookies, creating a subtle tanginess that balances perfectly with the sweetness of the chocolate chips. The fermentation process in the discard also helps create a soft and chewy texture, making each bite incredibly satisfying.
Here’s how you can make these irresistible treats:
- Gather your ingredients: You’ll need all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, unsalted butter (at room temperature), granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, an egg (also at room temperature), chocolate chips, and of course, your sourdough discard.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together 2 and ¼ cups of all-purpose flour with 1 teaspoon of baking soda and ½ teaspoon of salt. Set this aside for now.
- In another bowl or using an electric mixer, cream together 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter with ¾ cup of granulated sugar and 1 cup of packed brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add in 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and mix well.
- Now it’s time to add in your sourdough discard! Measure out 1 cup of discard and gradually add it into the mixture while mixing on low speed until well combined.
- Next up is the egg! Beat one large egg into the mixture until fully incorporated.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients from step 2 into the wet mixture while mixing on low speed until just combined. Be careful not to overmix as this can result in tougher cookies.
- Finally, fold in 2 cups of chocolate chips into the dough until evenly distributed.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Remember that the cookies will continue to firm up as they cool, so don’t worry if they seem slightly underbaked when you take them out of the oven.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Now you have a batch of decadent chocolate chip sourdough discard cookies ready to be enjoyed! These cookies are perfect for satisfying your sweet cravings and are sure to impress friends and family with their unique flavor profile. So next time you find yourself with some leftover sourdough discard, give these delightful treats a try and experience the magic of turning waste into something deliciously indulgent!
In conclusion, exploring sourdough discard dessert recipes is not only a delicious endeavor but also an opportunity to contribute to sustainability efforts in the kitchen. With their unique flavors, versatility, and room for creativity, these recipes offer an exciting twist on traditional desserts. So next time you have some leftover sourdough starter, don’t let it go to waste – whip up something sweet instead!
Bob Duncan is the lead writer and partner on ConversationsWithBianca.com. A passionate parent, he’s always excited to dive into the conversation about anything from parenting, food & drink, travel, to gifts & more!