Easy Dessert Recipes for Cinco de Mayo
Cinco de Mayo is just around the corner, and if you’re like me, you’re probably already thinking about what delicious treats to whip up for the occasion. Luckily, I’ve got you covered with some easy dessert recipes that are sure to impress your guests. From traditional Mexican sweets to creative twists on classic favorites, these recipes are quick, simple, and oh-so-tasty. So grab your apron and get ready to celebrate Cinco de Mayo with some seriously delectable desserts.
When it comes to Cinco de Mayo desserts, it’s all about embracing the flavors and ingredients that are synonymous with Mexican cuisine. Think rich chocolate, zesty citrus, fragrant cinnamon, and creamy avocado. With these key elements in mind, I’ve curated a collection of easy dessert recipes that capture the essence of the holiday.
Traditional Mexican Desserts
Tres Leches Cake
One of the most beloved and iconic Mexican desserts is the Tres Leches Cake. This indulgent treat is made with a light and fluffy sponge cake that is soaked in a mixture of three different types of milk: evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and heavy cream. The result is a moist and creamy cake that simply melts in your mouth.
To make this easy dessert recipe for Cinco de Mayo, start by baking a simple vanilla sponge cake. Once the cake is cooled, poke holes all over it using a fork or a skewer. This will allow the milk mixture to seep into the cake and infuse it with flavor. Next, pour the tres leches mixture over the cake, making sure to evenly distribute it. Let the cake sit in the refrigerator for a few hours, or preferably overnight, to allow the flavors to meld together.
Arroz con Leche (Mexican Rice Pudding)
Another classic Mexican dessert that is perfect for Cinco de Mayo is Arroz con Leche, also known as Mexican Rice Pudding. This comforting and creamy dessert is made by simmering rice in milk and sweetened with sugar, then flavored with cinnamon and vanilla. It’s a simple yet satisfying dessert that is loved by both kids and adults alike.
To make this easy dessert recipe, start by rinsing the rice to remove any excess starch. Then, combine the rice with milk, sugar, and a cinnamon stick in a saucepan. Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan. As the rice cooks, it will absorb the milk and become tender.
Quick and Easy Mexican-Inspired Treats
Mexican Chocolate Avocado Mousse
Indulge your taste buds with a luscious and creamy dessert that combines the richness of chocolate with the velvety smoothness of avocado. This Mexican Chocolate Avocado Mousse is not only delicious, but also incredibly easy to make. Here’s how:
- Ripe avocados
- Cocoa powder
- Agave syrup or honey
- Vanilla extract
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Shaved chocolate for garnish (optional)
- In a blender or food processor, combine the ripe avocados, cocoa powder, agave syrup or honey, vanilla extract, and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Adjust the sweetness to your liking by adding more agave syrup or honey if desired.
- Transfer the mousse to serving glasses or bowls and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow it to set.
- Before serving, top with a dollop of whipped cream and garnish with shaved chocolate for an extra touch of decadence.
Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies
Take your traditional brownies to the next level by infusing them with the warm and comforting flavors of Mexican hot chocolate. These Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies are a delightful treat that will satisfy your sweet tooth. Here’s how to make them:
- Unsalted butter
- Semi-sweet chocolate
- All-purpose flour
- Cocoa powder
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
- Vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven and prepare a baking pan by greasing it or lining it with parchment paper.
- In a heatproof bowl, melt the unsalted butter and semi-sweet chocolate together, either in the microwave or over a double boiler.
- Stir in the sugar, eggs, all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, cayenne pepper (if using), salt, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for the specified time or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow the brownies to cool before cutting them into squares and serving.
These Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies are the perfect blend of sweetness and spice. The addition of cinnamon and optional cayenne pepper adds a subtle warmth and complexity to the classic brownie recipe. Serve them warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra indulgent treat.
Bob Duncan is the lead writer and partner on ConversationsWithBianca.com. A passionate parent, he’s always excited to dive into the conversation about anything from parenting, food & drink, travel, to gifts & more!