If you’re a fan of camping and have a sweet tooth like me, then you’re in for a treat! In this article, I’ll be sharing some mouthwatering camping dessert recipes that are sure to satisfy your cravings while enjoying the great outdoors. From gooey s’mores to delicious fruit-filled pies, there’s something for everyone to enjoy around the campfire.
One of the best things about camping desserts is that they can be easily prepared with minimal ingredients and equipment. Whether you’re cooking over an open fire or using a portable stove, these recipes are designed to be simple yet scrumptious. So, if you’ve been wondering how to elevate your camping food game, these desserts are just what you need.
So grab your marshmallows, chocolate bars, and graham crackers because we’re about to embark on a delicious adventure filled with indulgent treats. Get ready to impress your fellow campers with these delightful camping dessert recipes that will make your outdoor experience even more enjoyable.
Camping Dessert Recipes
Classic Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler Recipe
When it comes to camping desserts, few treats are as beloved as a warm and delicious peach cobbler. The combination of juicy peaches, sweet cinnamon, and buttery crust is simply irresistible. And what better way to prepare this delectable dessert than in a trusty Dutch oven? Here’s a classic recipe that will have you savoring every bite.
To begin, gather the following ingredients:
- 4 cups of sliced fresh peaches
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon for sprinkling
Start by preheating your campfire or charcoal briquettes until they are glowing hot. In the meantime, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Gradually add the milk while stirring until the batter is smooth.
Next, pour the melted butter into your Dutch oven and spread it evenly across the bottom. Pour the batter over the melted butter without stirring. Arrange the sliced peaches on top of the batter and sprinkle them with cinnamon to taste.
Cover your Dutch oven with its lid and place several hot coals on top. Arrange additional hot coals around the sides to create even heat distribution. Allow it to bake for approximately 40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
Once ready, remove from heat and let it cool slightly before serving. This delightful dessert pairs perfectly with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Tips for Making the Perfect Camping Dessert
Preparing a mouthwatering peach cobbler while camping can be a delightful experience. Here are some handy tips to ensure your dessert turns out perfectly every time:
- Choose ripe and juicy peaches: Opt for fresh peaches that are firm yet slightly soft when gently squeezed. Fragrant and ripe peaches will provide the best flavor.
- Line the Dutch oven: Consider lining the bottom of your Dutch oven with aluminum foil or parchment paper before adding the melted butter, as this can prevent sticking and make cleanup easier.
- Control heat carefully: It’s important to regulate the heat source to avoid burning or undercooking your cobbler. Adjust the number of coals based on your specific campfire or briquette conditions.
- Keep an eye on cooking time: The baking time may vary depending on various factors such as altitude, weather conditions, and heat intensity. Check periodically to ensure it cooks evenly without overbrowning.
Variations of Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler
While the classic recipe is undeniably delicious, there are numerous creative variations of Dutch oven peach cobbler that you can experiment with during your camping adventures:
- Streusel Topping: Sprinkle a crumbly streusel topping made from oats, brown sugar, flour, and butter over the peaches before baking.
- Spiced Peaches: Add warmth and depth by incorporating spices such as nutmeg or ginger into the peach filling mixture.
- Campfire S’mores Cobbler: For a fun twist, replace part of the peaches with marshmallows and chocolate chunks for an ooey-gooey s’mores-inspired treat.
These variations allow you to customize your peach cobbler according to personal preferences or simply add some excitement to your camping menu.
So why not gather around the campfire and indulge in a delightful Dutch oven peach cobbler? Its sweet aroma wafting through nature’s embrace is sure to create lasting memories of your camping experience.
Bob Duncan is the lead writer and partner on ConversationsWithBianca.com. A passionate parent, he’s always excited to dive into the conversation about anything from parenting, food & drink, travel, to gifts & more!